Re: Linux RT newbie question

On 2/8/2016 1:16 PM, David Aldrich wrote:

> For a new project we need to demonstrate a Linux RT-Kernel
> running on a 'standard' x86 desktop PC.

What is the goal of this presentation? Are you aware that
a standard desktop PC might spoil your realtime attempts
in various ways (SMI interrupts, power management, ...)?

> I wonder if a standard Linux distro + RT kernel patch would be a better choice?

As long as you are using a RT kernel, sane pthreads support
such as modern glibc and you know what you are doing (ksoftirqd
priority and similar fun) the particular distribution does
not matter much. We are using stock Debian with custom kernel
as our embedded rt platform.

It is the _application_ that has to be coded with several things
in mind if it needs to be realtime.

--
                                 Stano