RE: Linux RT newbie question

Hi Stano

Thanks for your reply ...

> > For a new project we need to demonstrate a Linux RT-Kernel running
> > a 'standard' x86 desktop PC.
>
> What is the goal of this presentation?

The goal is to demonstrate that a communication system previously implemented on embedded digital signal processors can be implemented on a high spec PC desktop. Sorry that I can't give more details.

> Are you aware that a standard desktop
> PC might spoil your realtime attempts in various ways (SMI interrupts, power
> management, ...)?

Well, I was not aware of this until reading your email and I read ' HOWTO: Build an RT-application' on rt.wiki.kernel.org. The HowTo suggests ways of reducing the impact of SMI interrupts. Is this possible?

> > I wonder if a standard Linux distro + RT kernel patch would be a better
> choice?
>
> As long as you are using a RT kernel, sane pthreads support such as modern
> glibc and you know what you are doing (ksoftirqd priority and similar fun)
> the particular distribution does not matter much. We are using stock Debian
> with custom kernel as our embedded rt platform.

Do you build your kernel yourselves?

Best regards

David