Re: Some benchmark results

Hi Bernhard,

On 08/25/2014 04:14 PM, Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
> Am Montag, 25. August 2014, 11:02:32 schrieb Daniel Wagner:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to know how good or bad mainline vs RT is, therefore I let
>> MMTests torture my laptop for a while. I selected a few of the supported
>> benchmarks by MMTests in order to keep to a reasonable time frame.
>>
>> The aim was to see the impact of normal (no RT) workloads with different
>> preempt configurations on mainline and RT patched kernel. I tried to not
>> to change other configuration flags except the preempt one. There are
>> some small difference due to dependencies but the rest looks ok to me.
>>
>> http://www.monom.org/rt/mmtests/
>>
>> Suggestion, improvements, comments?
>>
>> cheers,
>> daniel
>>
>> --
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I had a first look at the above mentioned page.
>
> The thing I'am complety missing in the huge amount of numbers is: What is your
> demand, your primary topic to solve in or with RT?

Thanks looking at the numbers and the feedback from you. I really
appreciate that.

To your question: My goal is to help out to get this patch set merged
into mainline. I know an ambitious goal and I might be too incompetent
(I may suffering from the Dunning–Kruger effect. but hey, I am not the
one who recognize this).

So I figured the best thing is to start playing with different loads and
see how they compare to mainline and trying to understand why they are
different.

> And as I interprete the numbers: a RT kernel is a little bit more CPU-hungry
> then normal and this is nothing new.

Sure, I am well aware that RT is  'a little bit more CPU-hungry', but I
wondered how much is a little and what are the effects of it?

I am doing those tests for myself to get a better understanding. I just
shared the results in case someone else finds them interesting. I should
have stated that more clearly to avoid burning time from you. Sorry
about that.

cheers,
daniel