Re: preempt rt in commercial use

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 08:27 -0700, Nivedita Singhvi wrote:
> Steven Rostedt wrote:
>
> > Hardware that is less complex is easier to mathematically prove that it
> > will do what you expect to do in all cases, than hardware that is over
> > engineered, just like software.
> >
> > I hold that PREEMPT_RT is not soft real time, but is hard real time
> > designed. That is, we can't prove that it is hard real time, but any
> > time we find a case that the software can break its deterministic
> > result, it is a bug and needs to be fixed. (aka, a system failure).
>
> Which serves to highlight my point about using these terms -- you're
> the terms "hard" and "soft" in a different way than a previous poster.
> (Assuming "hard real time designed" can get mistaken for "hard real time".

Hard and soft are relative terms.

> You're saying it's hard because we intend it to meet system deadlines
> (regardless of deadline??), and it's a bug if it doesn't.

heh, no. The "regardless of deadlines" was not what I meant. I meant "we
have determined that the worse case runtime is X+delta, and if we run
within that time the system works". The deadlines are determined at
system design based on the hardware and software used. If you can not
make a deadline at design time, you go back to the drawing board.

It's all about determinism.

> The previous poster in this list was using it to imply guarantees of
> of very specific response times (< xxx us).
>
> You really, really have to talk about the specifics of the environment,
> the requirements, the application needs, etc. And I'm missing about
> half a dozen "really"'s there.

Note, I'm not sure you implied that vanilla Linux being fast enough can
be considered "real-time" for long deadlines. If that's the case, it is
wrong. A simple classic case of priority inversion will cause the system
to fail no matter how long the deadlines are.

-- Steve