Re: 2.6.35 RT support roadmap

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 23:17 -0400, jordan johnston wrote:
> > Google did Android and even Palm woke up (just long enough to watch its own
> > demise).
> >
> > The rest is history.
> >
> > Except of course putting the RT Kernel in Android.
>
> As i understand it, many Android users are using the BFS patchset, and
> have been for a while. BFS pretty much does what "the end result of
> using the rt-patches" accomplish, minus rtirq, spin-locks, etc. You
> will get the desired
> responsiveness that using RT would give you.

Heh, RT kernel patch and BFS _scheduler_ patch are not even on the same
planet.  BFS is probably not a bad choice for a single cache machine
doing soft RT.  I tested it pretty heavily a while back, and it was
generally pretty good.

> Im pretty sure that is why Zen-kernel has a git repository "very
> specifically" for android (BFS is the default kernel setting). I'm
> sure there are other goodies for android in there too.
>
> www.zen-kernel.org
>
> I don't know much about the Android repo's state (as it's fairly new).
> but worth a
> look for your "rt-usage" (ie. performance/responsiveness) for android.
>  As i do not own an Android, i have not tested it, but i have talked
> with people who do..
>
> I'm waiting to see what 2.6.35 holds for RT.... but personally i am
> using BFS and 2.6.34 with a lot of performance tuning (a good deal of
> time spent analyzing/tuning) and i am yielding better results not
> using the upstream rt-patches.
> we will see what happens in 2.6.35/36....

It depends on what you're calling performance.  A non-rt kernel
absolutely will outperform the rt kernel in many respects.  For
instance, if your measure of performance is the time it takes to play
one byte ping-pong over localhost (eg netperf TCP_RR), the rt kernel
will (does) lose badly due to context switch cost between various rt
middle-man threads.  If your performance criteria is things like
priority inversion tests, suddenly the comparison does a flipflop.

	-Mike