RE: PREEMPT_RT patch vs RTAI/Xenomai

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 17:30 +0200, Asier Tamayo wrote:
> Hello Nivedita,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> > What are your criteria?  Do you care about anything other
> > than performance (availability, upgrades, cost, support,
> > compatibility, tools, ...)?
> >
> > (...) you're best off testing the solutions that you can
> > get hold of with your own workload, in your own environment.
> >
> Performance is a must. Besides, costs and tools are very important.
> Support is also important, but I guess I'd find some good support for
> any of the solutions.
>
> My new CPU has an Intel Atom N270 @1.6 GHz processor. At the moment
> (during the porting it might be optimized), I have 5 drivers requering
> hard real-time (no loop can be skipped) and being called every 2 to 10
> ms. In fact, at the beginning I was using 1 ms, but I had some
> problems with the hard real-time and changed the timing to 2 ms. I do
> not consider using a legacy OS emulation.

If tuned properly, PREEMPT_RT can easily handle 1ms requirements. On a
standard x86 CPU (we support others than x86) our goal is never to be
over 100us in reaction time.

> I know my final decission will have to be made after some real tests
> on my own system, but at this moment I'm trying to gather as much
> information as I can, regarding the pros and cons of each solution.

One of the main benefits with running PREEMPT_RT is that any app that
works on PREEMPT_RT also works on standard Linux. No special syscalls
are needed. Which also means you can debug on any Linux box and then
test on the PREEMP_RT box.

-- Steve