Re: rt file i/o

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Tim Blechmann <tim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> having read the howto build an rt-application, i am trying to think of a
> way to handle disk i/o in my application.
>
> the howto suggest to avoid file i/o in non-rt helper threads, but to
> move them to another process. while the howto suggests using network
> socket, i'm curious, if other ipc primitives like shared memory would
> give better throughput? or would i experience any issues, like is it
> possible to lock shared memory to physical ram?
>
> thanks, tim
>
> --
> tim@xxxxxxxxxx
> http://tim.klingt.org
>
> Art is either a complaint or do something else
>  John Cage quoting Jasper Johns

Tim,
   I'm not a developer and cannot really address your specific
question but for my use of the rt-kernel I put important rt-audio
files on a 1394 drive and give the 1394 driver higher priorities using
the IRQ scheduling tools. I don't have any trouble running 2 or 3 1394
drives recording and playing back 48 channels in Ardour.

   While I agree you should do everything the right way technically in
the code maybe part of your solution is outside of the app you are
writing and in the use of these support tools?

Take care,
Mark