Re: 2.6.29-rt1+ irqbalance = OOPS

Robin Gareus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Starting the irqbalance daemon ( http://www.irqbalance.org/ ) on
> 2.6.29-rt1 causes the system to OOPS and freeze. irqbalance works fine
> with previous realtime kernels (2.6.24.7-rt27).
>
> The OOPS seems to be caused by the PID of the [timer] IRQ-1
This in of itself might be part of the problem.  I didn't think the
timer was supposed to be threaded.  Thomas?

> . However the
> OOPS message is too long and I can't read the beginning lines on the
> terminal. The system hangs so I can't scroll back and it's not written
> to any log. SysRq does also not work after the OOPS.
>
> A bit off topic, but how can I capture those OOPSes?

A serial-console or netconsole is generally better than a VT for
catching the whole output.

> I could get a larger screen and a digital camera ;) The lkcd.sf.net
> patch does not apply to 2.6.29. Running a realtime kernel in qemu does
> not make much sense, although it may be sufficient to reproduce this OOPS.
> Is there a way to use USB as serial console using a hub and two
> computers?
I think so, though I have never tried.

> I guess I'll need a dongle or sth. Besides would a printk()
> to a serial port work even if some IRQ handler hangs?

Usually yes.  Of course, it depends on what is actually broken, but
*most* issues still allow the printks to work.

Good luck!
-Greg