Re: Seeing 800us of latency with cyclictest on a PC with 2.6.26.8 rt patch. Is that normal?

Matthias Luescher <m.luescher <at> vtxmail.ch> writes:

> > Specifically, my laptop is a Dell Latitude D620.
>
> We have tried very hard to achieve real time performance with the
> Dell Latitude D620 (we have tested different kernels, different configurations,
> different bios versions, modified the bios settings, called the Dell customer
service, ...).
> After all it looks like there is no way to achieve hard real time performance
with this
> type of device.
>
> We had more luck (sub 100us latency) with the following notebooks:
> - Lenovo T61, with dual core processor T8300, 2 GB RAM
> - Asus V1SSeries with dual core processor T7500
>
> On both devices we had to disable some power management features.
> Please note that pressing some function keys can still result in huge
latencies if
> the bios implementation is bad enough.
>
> Desktop PCs usually work without big latencies.
>
> Best regards
> Matthias
>
> --
> the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Just wanted to post an update.  I build 2.6.24.7 with rt patch and installed on
a 10 year old ASUS MEW motherboard with a 366MHz Celeron running Debian 5.0.

Cyclictest -a -t -n -p99 reports avg of 29us and max of 74us!!!  Wow!

OK, now I just need to do the same thing on a ARM 926EJ-S board (once I get one).

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.  I wouldn't have thought that 10
year old desktop hardware could beat the pants off a modern laptop.