Re: cyclictest - trouble explaning results

Oleg Galimov <Galimov <at> gmx.de> writes:

> I have a dual-core cpu. When I run cyclictest on both cores and then start a
time hog (like cp /dev/zero
> /dev/null), then the average latency on the core where it runs goes down
significantly (on my machine it is
> like 30us before and 10us after, when using rt-patch). It returns to the
original values, when I kill the cp process.

I made a similar observation while measuring the jitter in
the time of execution of usleep(). The more load the machine
has the less becomes the average jitter. Of course, there is
a point of inflection when the system is fully stretched.

I observed this behavior on a ppc405 based embedded system
(no SMP) with and without CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT. Interestingly
enough, I was unable to reproduce your observation with the
cyclictest tool on this system.

Regards,
Jens Wirth