Re: Different kernel and RT versions

Hello Uli,

> But I would like to understand rt differences. That's what I have
> asked for. From viewpoint of application, I do not have a deep Linux
> or even kernel knowledge.

Probably not needed also...

> Or do all the latest rt developments simply
> have no meaning or effect on the application?

Applications do not need to be changed/recompiled to be able to run
them on a rt-kernel.
But, if you want to get the lowest latencies possible, you should
consider adapting the application.
The RT-kernel is not a magic thing making all applications to behave
RT, even if those applications were not designed for it. Bad
applications will always be bad, the RT-kernel will not change that.

You will get lower latencies if your applications use RT-priorities,
but also mlock-ing is required to prevent the application from getting
swapped to disk.
There is also a relation to the priorities of other RT-threads in the
system, and so on.
See also: http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/HOWTO:_Build_an_RT-application

Kind Regards,

Remy