Re: X86 Pentium M platform troubles at low temperatures

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 14:40 -0800, Jim Beck wrote:
> Update: the RT patch seems to be irrelevant.  Something that changed
> between 2.6.18 from Suse 10.2 and the vanilla 2.6.24 (not RT patched)
> causes 2.6.24 to fail to boot at cold temperatures.  THis is very
> strange.  It does work at normal temperatures, and Suse 10.2 works
> even at the cold temperatures.  I suppose this is now no longer and
> appropriate subject for RT users.  I will post future replies to the
> normal kernel mailing list.

It sounds like you MAY be hitting some king of race condition
- AND -
I would recommend duplicating the problem on another piece of similar
hardware at the same temps first, and there can be all kinds of possible
interactions not related to software causing this behavior:

You may just have cheap components, that flake as the system warms
rapidly from -10 C.

There are nice ovens where you can rapidly cycle the temp, or just stick
the thing in the freezer and put it out in the sunshine a couple of
cycles and see if you can't get it to flake with 10.2 also.

Sven

-