X86 Pentium M platform troubles at low temperatures

This may sound strange, but we have a Pentium M system running
2.6.20-rt5 that fails to boot all the way (fails at spawning mingetty
- then various strange behaviors) when the system is at -10 degrees C
or less.  Oddly, it works fine if we used *unpatched* Linux.  My only
guess can be that there is some hard-coded constants with regards to
timers or clocks that somehow comes into play because of  some
oscillator frequency change.  I was wondering if any of the authors
can comment on any magic numbers or such that might be related to
this.

Of course I will let you know if I discover that I am crazy in the
next few days.  I just wanted to run this by you to see if anyone else
had experience with this.
-