Re: [Celinux-dev] Rt-preempt testing best practices

Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:

>> I'm writing to tell you about a project I'm working on.
>> I'm trying to collect as much information as I can about
>> testing real time performance of Linux.
>
>> I've started a wiki page at:
>> http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/RealtimeTestingBestPractices
>> (which is on CELF's wiki)
>
> The tests noted in the LKML post on this page are very problematic, ping
> -f is not testing RT at all, it keeps the kernel in a very small active
> page set thus reducing page related penalties, the while loop using dd
> is also not too helpfull as it will de-facto run only in memory and cause
> absolutely no disk/mass-storage related interaction (try the same with
> mount -o remount,sync /  first and it will be devastating ! (limited to
> ext2/ext3/ufs))
>
> The big problem with RT tests published is that they are all looking at
> the good case, they are loading the system but assuming successfull
> operations. The worst cases pup up when you run in the error paths of
> the kernel - then a trivial application can induce very large jitter in
> the system (run crashme in the background and rerun the tests...)
>
> Also lmbench can give a statistic view of things (and not even that very
> precisely in some case i.e. context switch measurements are flawed) so
> this is not of much help for descision makers which variant to use - it
> does not help if the average performance is good but the mobile phone or
> mp3 klicks at 1s intervales "deterministically" - so I guess RT
> benchmarks need a notion of usage-profile to be of value.
>

>> However, I think this material would be better placed
>> on the Linux RT wiki at: http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
>> Does anyone have any problem with me moving the content to there,
>> and continuing my attempt to document this on that site?
>

> Note that this page is dedicated to RT-preempt and will most likely not
> cover the other variants of RT Linux availabe - so it might well be a
> good idea to maintain an independant page but cross-link them ?
>
>> Note that there's some duplication of content with other
>> pages on the RT wiki.  I'll try to clean this up during the move.
>
>> Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
>
>> If you have done RT testing, and especially if you have published
>> information I can look at (and link to), please contact me.
>
> There are a number of publications related to both benchmarking and
> analysis of hardware related artefacts (cache,BTB,TLB,etc.) which were
> published at the real-time Linux Workshops - should I collect them
> together and send you those as tar.bz2 or just the links ?

I would definitely be interested in such material myself. We are
actually using the RT patches in real world scenarios on probably 50+
systems (some are development workstations and others are
hardware-in-the-loop simulation test systems) and they perform very
well. However, it would be nice to have a battery of tests (both
correctness and determinism)that could be used to compare future versions.

> hofrat
-
linux-rt-users" in

   kr