Re: [net-next] net: ethernet: rtsn: Add support for Renesas Ethernet-TSN

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 3:05 PM Andrew Lunn <andrew@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > So you seem to be using it as bool?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > That is wrong. It is a number of pico seconds!
> >
> > The issue is that the hardware only supports no delay or a fixed delay
> > that can depend on electric properties of the board.
>
> The general convention is that the MAC does not add delays, it leaves
> it to the PHY. Probably 95% of boards are like this, and many MAC
> drivers don't even add support for configuring their hardware delays,
> it is not needed. Those that do, it is generally for fine tuning the
> delays, being able to add/remove 100s of pico seconds, not the full
> 2us. This hardware cannot do that.
>
> So i suggest you drop all this code, and just hard code the delay to
> 0ps.

IIRC (from users of RAVB, which have similar delay bits), the issue
is that some boards require a larger delay than the maximum delay
supported by the Micrel KSZ9031 PHY (960 ps).  Hence these
boards need to enable the MAC delay.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]