Re: How to create/use RPMSG-over-VIRTIO devices in Linux

On Tue, 10 Sept 2024 at 09:43, Doug Miller
<doug.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/10/2024 10:13 AM, Mathieu Poirier wrote:

> >> It looks to me as though the virtio_rpmsg_bus module can create a
> >> "rpmsg_ctl" device, which could be used to create channels from which
> >> endpoints could be created. However, when I load the virtio_rpmsg_bus,
> >> rpmsg_ns, and rpmsg_core modules there is no "rpmsg_ctl" device created
> >> (this is running in the host OS, before any VMs are created/run).
> >>
> > At this time the modules stated above are all used when a main processor is
> > controlling a remote processor, i.e via the remoteproc subsystem.  I do not know
> > of an implementation where VIRTIO_ID_RPMSG is used in the context of a
> > host/guest scenario.  As such you will find yourself in uncharted territory.
> >
> > At some point there were discussion via the OpenAMP body to standardize the
> > remoteproc's subsystem establishment of virtqueues to conform to a host/guest
> > scenario but was abandonned.  That would have been a step in the right direction
> > for what you are trying to do.
> I was looking at some existing rpmsg code, at it appeared to me that
> some adapters, like the "qcom", are creating an rpmsg device that
> provides specialized methods for talking to the remote processor(s). I
> have assumed this is because that hardware does not allow for running
> something remotely that can utilize the virtio queues directly, and so
> these rpmsg devices provide code to do the communication with their
> hardware. What's not clear is whether these devices are using
> rpmsg-over-virtio or if they are creating their own rpmsg facility (and
> whether they even support guest-host communication).

The QC implementation is different and does not use virtio - there is
a special HW interface between the main and the remote processors.
That configuration is valid since RPMSG can be implemented over
anything.