Re: How to create/use RPMSG-over-VIRTIO devices in Linux

On 9/3/2024 10:52 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
I am trying to learn how to create an RPMSG-over-VIRTIO device
(service) in order to perform communication between a host driver and
a guest driver. The RPMSG-over-VIRTIO driver (client) side is fairly
well documented and there is a good example (starting point, at least)
in samples/rpmsg/rpmsg_client_sample.c.

I see that I can create an endpoint (struct rpmsg_endpoint) using
rpmsg_create_ept(), and from there I can use rpmsg_send() et al. and
the rpmsg_rx_cb_t cb to perform the communications. However, this
requires a struct rpmsg_device and it is not clear just how to get one
that is suitable for this purpose.

It appears that one or both of rpmsg_create_channel() and
rpmsg_register_device() are needed in order to obtain a device for the
specific host-guest communications channel. At some point, a "root"
device is needed that will use virtio (VIRTIO_ID_RPMSG) such that new
subdevices can be created for each host-guest pair.

In addition, building a kernel with CONFIG_RPMSG, CONFIG_RPMSG_VIRTIO,
and CONFIG_RPMSG_NS set, and doing a modprobe virtio_rpmsg_bus, seems
to get things setup but that does not result in creation of any "root"
rpmsg-over-virtio device. Presumably, any such device would have to be
setup to use a specific range of addresses and also be tied to
virtio_rpmsg_bus to ensure that virtio is used.

It is also not clear if/how register_rpmsg_driver() will be required
on the rpmsg driver side, even though the sample code does not use it.

So, first questions are:

* Am I looking at the correct interfaces in order to create the host
rpmsg device side?
* What needs to be done to get a "root" rpmsg-over-virtio device
created (if required)?
* How is a rpmsg-over-virtio device created for each host-guest driver
pair, for use with rpmsg_create_ept()?
* Does the guest side (rpmsg driver) require any special handling to
plug-in to the host driver (rpmsg device) side? Aside from using the
correct addresses to match device side.

It looks to me as though the virtio_rpmsg_bus module can create a
"rpmsg_ctl" device, which could be used to create channels from which
endpoints could be created. However, when I load the virtio_rpmsg_bus,
rpmsg_ns, and rpmsg_core modules there is no "rpmsg_ctl" device created
(this is running in the host OS, before any VMs are created/run).

Is this the correct way to use RPMSG-over-VIRTIO? If so, what actions
need to be taken to cause a "rpmsg_ctl" device to be created? What
method would be used (in a kernel driver) to get a pointer to the
"rpmsg_ctl" device, for use with rpmsg_create_channel()?

Thanks,
Doug

External recipient