Re: Using RPMSG to communicate between host and guest drivers

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 06:49:27AM -0500, Doug Miller wrote:
> > Typically in cases like this you'd paravirtualize some of the VF
> > before sticking it in the VM so that there is a tidy channel between
> > the VF driver and the VMM to do whatever this coordination is. There
> > are many examples, but it is hard to see if you don't know the device
> > architectures in detail.
>
> Can you give more detail on how this paravirtualization is accomplished?
> Or point to an example?

Not sure I have easy examples, several devices I've seen proxy things
through their FW/HW. I think some of the Intel NICs were working like
this.

Some have full vfio-mdevs or qemu modules to intercept registers and
build it.

> It seems to me that rpmsg would be a cleaner solution, at least
> until I can see how paravirtualization is implemented for
> comparison.

I think you will find it very hard to connect such a thing up
throughout all the peices of software. Having two related devices
across everything is not easy.

Jason