Using RPMSG to communicate between host and guest drivers

I am working on SR-IOV support for a new adapter which has shared
resources between the PF and VFs and requires an out-of-band (outside
the adapter) communication mechanism to manage those resources. I have
been looking at RPMSG as a mechanism to communicate between the driver
on a guest (VM) and the driver on the host OS (which "owns" the
resources). It appears to me that virtio is intended for communication
between guests and host, and RPMSG over virtio is what I want to use.

Can anyone confirm that RPMSG is capable of doing what we need? If so,
I'll need some help figuring out how to use that from kernel device
drivers (I've not been able to find any examples of doing the
service/device side). If not, is there some other facility that is
better suited?

Thanks,
Doug

External recipient