Re: Using RPMSG to communicate between host and guest drivers

Apologies for the late reply - this got lost in the vacation email backlog.

On Mon, 26 Aug 2024 at 10:27, Dennis Dalessandro
<dennis.dalessandro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/31/24 4:02 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
> > I am working on SR-IOV support for a new adapter which has shared
> > resources between the PF and VFs and requires an out-of-band (outside

It would have been a good idea to let people know what "PF" and "VF"
means to avoid confusion.

> > the adapter) communication mechanism to manage those resources. I have
> > been looking at RPMSG as a mechanism to communicate between the driver
> > on a guest (VM) and the driver on the host OS (which "owns" the
> > resources). It appears to me that virtio is intended for communication
> > between guests and host, and RPMSG over virtio is what I want to use.

Virtio is definitely the standard way to convey information between a
host and a guest.  You can specify as many virtqueues as needed
(in-band and out-of-band) and it is widely supported.  What
information is conveyed by the virtqueues and how it gets conveyed is
entirely up to the use case.  Have a look at the specification of
existing virtio drivers to get a better idea [1].  If the driver you
are working with hasn't been standardised, I highly encourage you to
submit a draft for it.  If it has then add to the current
specification.

All that said, you could use RPMSG as the protocol that runs on top of
the virtqueues - that should be fairly easy to do.

Thanks,
Mathieu

[1]. https://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.2/csd01/virtio-v1.2-csd01.html