Re: [pull request][net-next V10 00/14] Add mlx5 subfunction support

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:57:14AM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:
> Hi Edwin,

To add a little more colour, the PCI spec design requires a CAM (ie
search) to figure out which function an incoming address is connected
to because there are no restrictions on how BAR's of each function
have to be layed out.

SRIOV and SF's require a simple linear lookup to learn the "function"
because the BAR space is required to be linear.

Scaling a CAM to high sizes is physicaly infeasible, so all approaches
to scaling PCI functions go this road of having a single large BAR
space.

Jason