Re: [pull request][net-next V10 00/14] Add mlx5 subfunction support

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:37 AM Saeed Mahameed <saeed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This series form Parav was the theme of this mlx5 release cycle,
> we've been waiting anxiously for the auxbus infrastructure to make it into
> the kernel, and now as the auxbus is in and all the stars are aligned, I
> can finally submit this patchset of the devlink and mlx5 subfunction support.
>
> For more detailed information about subfunctions please see detailed tag
> log below.

Apologies for the tardy question out of left field, but I've been
thinking about this some more. If I recall, the primary motivation for
this was a means to effectively address more VFs? But, why can't the
device simply expose more bus numbers?

>From the PCI spec:

"SR-IOV Devices may consume more than one Bus Number. A VF can be
associated with any Bus Number within
the Device’s Bus Number range - the captured Bus Number plus any
additional Bus Numbers configured by
software. See Section 9.2.1.2 for details.

- Use of multiple Bus Numbers enables a device to support a very large
number of VFs - up to the size
of the Routing ID space minus the bits used to identify intervening busses"

Regards,
Edwin Peer