Re: Revert "RDMA/rxe: Remove VLAN code leftovers from RXE"

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 22:44 +0800, Zhu Yanjun wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:30 PM Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > > Thanks a lot.
> > > It seems that the vlan SKBs also enter RXE.
> > >
> > > There are 3 hunks in the commit b2d2440430c0("RDMA/rxe: Remove
> > > VLAN
> > > code leftovers from RXE").
> > >
> > > Can you make more research to find out which hunk causes this
> > > problem?
> >
> > I'm positive they all need to be reverted. It's not much code
> > altogether that is removed, but this much is necessary to make
> > VLANs
>
> RXE does not support VLAN now.

Yes, because of your patch. What else do you want to tell me with this
statement?

Anyway, Jason seems to agree with you that the way it worked until
5.10, which was fine as far as I could tell, was wrong. I'd still
appreciate some hints explaining what exactly was wrong with the old
code, and how you guys reckon it should work instead. In particular
considering Mohammad's statement I quoted further down. Was Mohammad
wrong?

What I got so far didn't help me much. I'd especially like to
understand how you think the high-level user experience should be. IOW
how would it be set up by the user, and what would the semantics be wrt
permissions, conneting to peers, etc. If I understood that, I might be
able to address the issues and test myself.

Regards,
Martin