Re: Is there a working cache for path record and lids etc for librdmacm?

> On 25 Nov 2020, at 17:43, Christopher Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2020, Honggang LI wrote:
>
>>> How do I figure out why ibacm is not talking to the subnet manager?
>>
>> No, you can't talking to subnet manager, if you resolve IPoIB IP address
>> or hostname to PathRecord. The query MAD packets will be send to one
>> multicast group all ibacm service attached.
>
> Huh? When does it talk to a subnet manager (or the SA)?

When resolving the route AND the option "route_prot" is set to "sa". If set to "acm", what Hong describes above applies.

> If its get an IP address of an IB node that does not have ibacm then it
> fails with a timeout ..... ? And leaves hanging kernel threads around by
> design?

Nop, the kernel falls back and uses the neighbour cache instead.

> So it only populates the cache from its local node information?

No, if you use ibacm for address resolution the only protocol it has is "acm", which means the information comes from a peer ibacm.

If you talk about the cache for routes, it comes either from the SA or a peer ibacm, depending on the "route_prot" setting.

>> To resolve IPoIB address to PathRecord, you must:
>> 1) The IPoIB interface must UP and RUNNING on the client and target
>> side.
>> 2) The ibacm service must RUNNING on the client and target.
>
> That is working if you want to resolve only the IP addresses of the IB
> interfaces on the client and target. None else.

That is why it is called IBacm, right?

> Here is the description of ibacms function from the sources:
>
> "Conceptually, the ibacm service implements an ARP like protocol and
> either uses IB multicast records to construct path record data or queries
> the SA directly, depending on the selected route protocol. By default, the
> ibacm services uses and caches SA path record queries."
>
> SA queries dont work. So its broken and cannot talk to the SM.

Why do you say that? It works all the time for me which uses "sa" as "route_prot".

Thxs, Håkon