Re: Re: another change breaks rxe

-----"Jason Gunthorpe" <jgg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: -----

>To: "Bob Pearson" <rpearsonhpe@xxxxxxxxx>
>From: "Jason Gunthorpe" <jgg@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: 10/30/2020 12:47PM
>Cc: "linux-rdma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-rdma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: another change breaks rxe
>
>On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:41:12AM -0500, Bob Pearson wrote:
>
>> breaks rxe because it does use IB_USER_VERBS_CMD_POST_SEND. rxe
>> posts wqes to a work queue in shared memory and then calls
>> ibv_post_send with zero wqes as a doorbell to the kernel which uses
>> this as a hint to go read the shared memory.
>
>Gah, siw and rxe are open coding this stuff (wrongly!) in rdma-core
>
>This would be a lot better to use an eventfd
>
>Jason

Yes, siw does it the same.

I see the hfi and ipath drivers similarly using ibv_cmd_post_send
to push the wqe's (while not having them in shared mem). Do they
brake as well?
Do we have an example of decent eventfd usage where I could learn
from how to use it? Though I think having another fd open per context
might become a scaling issue.

Thanks and best regards,
Bernard.