Re: Question about supporting RDMA Extensions for PMEM

On 10/16/2020 6:37 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:26:32PM -0400, Tom Talpey wrote:

In theory, the IBTA SWG is in control of specifying any Verbs changes.

SWG and IETF should agree on what the general software presentation
should look like so HW implementations can be compatible.

It looks fairly straightforward so this probably isn't strictly
necessary once the one the wire protocol is decided.

verbs has a life of its own these days outside IBTA/IETF..

For the record, I completely agree with the goal of compatible
interfaces. And, I'm committed to defining it, however I am not
able to participate in IBTA as I am no longer associated with
any IBTA member company. I am active in IETF, which has no such
restriction.

However, it's also important to point out that IETF considers
programming interfaces to be out of scope. The draft-hilland-verbs
document for iWARP was not adopted as a work item, and its
content, while extraordinary useful, is not an IETF product.
As an example, consider TCP and Sockets. IETF owns the former,
and has no input on the latter.

In other words, I think it's on us.

Tom.