Re: Is it possible to transfer a large file between two computers using RDMA UD?

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 09:47:06AM -0500, Terry Toole wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Is it possible to transfer a large file, say 25GB, between two computers using
> > RDMA UD, and have an exact copy of the original file on the receiving side? My
> > understanding is that the order of the messages is not guaranteed with UD.
> > But I thought that if I only use one QP I could ensure that the ordering of the
> > data will be predictable.
>
> It is not guaranteed to be in order.
>
> Why would you do this anyhow? The overhead to use RC is pretty small

So even if I am using only 1 QP, it is still not guaranteed to be in
order. Ok. Thanks.

The reason I am interested in doing this is that I am working on a
project where we
want to transfer data between an FPGA and a computer. Memory needs to be added
on the FPGA side to buffer data for retries when RC is used. Adding
memory makes
the electronics on the sending side more complex. If we could transfer
the data in UD mode, it may simplify other aspects of the project.

Thanks again for your response,

Terry