Re: [net-next v3 00/20][pull request] Intel Wired LAN Driver Updates 2019-12-09

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 10:41:54AM -0800, Jeff Kirsher wrote:

> > > This was done because you requested a for a single pull request in an
> > > earlier submission 9 months ago.  I am fine with breaking up
> > > submission,
> > > even though the RDMA driver would be dependent upon the virtual bus and
> > > LAN
> > > driver changes.
> >
> > If I said that I ment a single pull request *to RDMA* with Dave's acks
> > on the net side, not a single pull request to net.
> >
> > Given the growth of the net side changes this may be better to use a
> > shared branch methodology.
>
> I am open to any suggestions you have on submitting these changes that has
> the least amount of thrash for all the maintainers involved.
>
> My concerns for submitting the network driver changes to the RDMA tree is
> that it will cause David Miller a headache when taking additional LAN
> driver changes that would be affected by the changes that were taken into
> the RDMA tree.

If you send the PR to rdma then you must refrain from sending changes
to net that would conflict with it.

I also do not want a headache with conflicts to a huge rdma driver in
net, so you cannot send it to -net.

Mellanox uses a shared branch approach now, it is working well but
requires discipline to execute.

You can also send your changes to net, wait a cycle then send the rdma
changes. IIRC one of the other drivers is working this way.

Jason