Re: [RFC 01/20] ice: Initialize and register multi-function device to provide RDMA

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 03:01:09PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 05:55:38PM +0000, Ertman, David M wrote:
> > > Did any resolution happen here? Dave, do you know what to do to get Greg's
> > > approval?
> > >
> > > Jason
> >
> > This was the last communication that I saw on this topic.  I was taking Greg's silence as
> > "Oh ok, that works" :)  I hope I was not being too optimistic!
> >
> > If there is any outstanding issue I am not aware of it, but please let me know if I am
> > out of the loop!
> >
> > Greg, if you have any other concerns or questions I would be happy to address them!
>
> I was hoping to hear Greg say that taking a pci_device, feeding it to
> the multi-function-device stuff to split it to a bunch of
> platform_device's is OK, or that mfd should be changed somehow..

Again, platform devices are ONLY for actual platform devices.  A PCI
device is NOT a platform device, sorry.

If MFD needs to be changed to handle non-platform devices, fine, but
maybe what you really need to do here is make your own "bus" of
individual devices and have drivers for them, as you can't have a
"normal" PCI driver for these.

Again, please stop abusing platform devices.

greg k-h