Re: [RFC 01/20] ice: Initialize and register multi-function device to provide RDMA

On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 20:05 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:45:00AM -0700, Jeff Kirsher wrote:
> > From: Tony Nguyen <anthony.l.nguyen@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > The RDMA block does not advertise on the PCI bus or any other bus.
>
> Huh?  How do you "know" where it is then?  Isn't is usually assigned
> a PCI device?

The RDMA block does not have its own PCI function so it must register
and interact with the ice driver.

> > Thus the ice driver needs to provide access to the RDMA hardware
> > block
> > via a virtual bus; utilize a multi-function device to provide this
> > access.
> >
> > This patch initializes the driver to support RDMA as well as
> > creates
> > and registers a multi-function device for the RDMA driver to
> > register to.
> > At this point the driver is fully initialized to register a
> > platform
> > driver, however, can not yet register as the ops have not been
> > implemented.
> >
> > We refer to the interaction of this platform device as Inter-Driver
> > Communication (IDC); where the platform device is referred to as
> > the peer
> > device and the platform driver is referred to as the peer driver.
>
> Again, no platform devices, unless it REALLY IS a platform device
> (i.e.
> you are using device tree or platform data to find it.)  Is that what
> you are doing here?

Sorry, this was an oversight.  When I was changing the wording in the
commit message away from platform device, I missed this one.

I will rewrite the commit message to make things clearer and correct
the platform device reference.

Thanks,
Tony