Re: [patch v3 2/2] RDMA/srp: calculate max_it_iu_size if remote max_it_iu length available

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:10:48AM -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 9/22/19 8:33 PM, Honggang LI wrote:
> > >                                                     ^^^
> > >                                           retrieved? obtained?
> >
> > OK, will replace it with 'retrieved'.

> > >    ^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > Are you sure that information comes from the subnet manager?
> > > Isn't the LID passed to get_ioc_prof() in the srp_daemon the LID of the SRP
> > > target?
> >
> > Yes, you are right. But srp_daemon/get_ioc_prof() send MAD packet
> > to subnet manager to obtain the maximum initiator to target iu length.
>  I do not agree that the maximum initiator to target IU length comes from
> the subnet manager. This is how I think the srp_daemon works:
> 1. The srp_daemon process sends a query to the subnet manager and asks
>    the subnet manager to report all IB ports that support device
>    management.
> 2. The subnet manager sends back information about all ports that
>    support device management (struct srp_sa_port_info_rec).
> 3. The srp_daemon sends a query to the SRP target(s) to retrieve the
>    IOUnitInfo (struct srp_dm_iou_info) and IOControllerProfile
>    (struct srp_dm_ioc_prof). The maximum initiator to target IU length
>    is present in that data structure (srp_dm_ioc_prof.send_size).

Yes, your description is more accurate.

[1] "The maximum initiator to target iu length can be retrieved from the subnet
manager, such as opensm and opafm."

[2] "The maximum initiator to target iu length can be obtained by sending
MAD packets to query subnet manager port and SRP target ports."

How about replacing sentence [1] with [2] in commit message?

thanks