RE: [RDMA for-next V3 0/6] Add MAD stack trace points

> > > I would like to hear definitive answer from RDMA maintainers - yes/no.
> > > Will those tracepoints be declared as user space ABI?
> > >

> > To be clear I am not proposing any ABI here.  And, I _think_, that is pretty
> well documented in the eBPF tracepoint documentation.  The patch I'm
> submitting is a _sample_ of how one can (with a particular version of the
> kernel) alter the data reported from, or change the logic around, the
> tracepoints.
>
> Ira,
>
> I'm totally with you and would like to see more tracepoints used in our
> subsystem, but latest shit storm related to changes hfi1 debugfs showed that
> promises, documentation and agreement to change debugfs in any given
> time are not worth a dime, once anyone from the crowd throws an "ABI"
> word.

+ Denny

I think this is a bit unfair.  The HFI debugfs worked differently from the other devices and caused some confusion about what debugfs names would be presented and if there was a fundamental breakage of debugfs.  That is hardly a "shit storm".  I agree that having the name be consistent with names used elsewhere in the RDMA namespace (and/or some mapping to easily resolve the names) should be a goal going forward.

Regardless, and more importantly, this is a totally different thing.  eBPF sample _code_ is a long way from a tool which is dependent on this "ABI".

Ira