Re: [RDMA for-next 0/6] Add MAD stack trace points

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 01:39:12PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:

> > > I think it needs to go through the tracing subsystem tree, maintained by Ingo
> > > Molnar and Steven Rostedt.  In addition, you need a MAINTAINERS file
> > > update to go along with this.  The include/trace/events/ib*mad.h files should
> > > be under the INFINIBAND subsystem to patches to them get Cc:ed here.
> > > Same for the samples/bpf/ibumad_*.c files.
> >    ^^^^^
> >
> > I don't understand.
> >
> > The include/trace/events/ib*mad.h changes are the _only_ ones to the tracing subsystem.  You're saying they should go under the IB subsystem.  Which I where I posted them...
>
> No, I'm saying they should go through the tracing subsystem so they get
> that level of review and exposure, but that the INFINIBAND substem
> MAINTAINERS entry should get a new line indicating that our subsystem
> should be included on changes to those files.  It doesn't mean that the
> files won't also flag as tracing files when someone runs the query on
> the MAINTAINERS file, it means both the tracing maintainers and linux-
> rdma will get Cc:ed on changes to these files.
>
> > So what should go through the tracing subsystem?
>
> Send the whole series through there, just add the changes to the
> MAINTAINERS file I listed.

It looks like the convention is to have a MAINTAINERS entry for the
owning subsystem with a

F: include/trace/events/..

Type thing in it.

I think we should merge the patches through RDMA, but with the Ack of
tracing folks..

Otherwise these will might make merge conflicts..

Jason