Re: [RFC] Vendor-specific QPs

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 05:47:42PM +0000, Alex Margolin wrote:
>
>> To follow up on the previous discussion,
>> we changed the RFC proposal to focus on this single type for vendor QP.
>
> Okay.. So in future sending MIME attached patches is very hard to do
> anything with.. I have provided my comments as best I can below:
>
> - The QPT should be IB_QPT_DRIVER
>   Please scrub the word 'vendor' from your vocabulary and all patches.
>   Everything is *DRIVER* specific if it uses the dv interface.
> - It makes me annoyed that 'enum ib_qp_type' is not in a uapi header,
>   please consider sending a patch to fix this while you are touching
>   this area
> - I don't know if having a huge multiplex 'mlx5dv_create_qp' is such a
>   great idea. Since the DV API is linked, it would make more sense to
>   have a specially 'mlx5dv_create_dct' sort of API so that we have
>   better visibility on what the app needs of the dv library. Eg a dct
>   using app will fail to link on older dv libraries.
Since all dv_create_qp() API functions call the ibv_cmd_create_qp()
and put driver data at the end of the core data it will be simplest to
manage this in one function with one additional driver data structure
(that includes a comp_mask to describe the content of the block of
data). Also, the signature of the mlx5_dv_create_dct() should take an
extra parameter (besides ib_qp_init_attr and mlx4_dct_init_attr) that
is common to all dv_create_qp() functions to represent the shared
driver data. We can avoid all this if we declare only one API function
to create a driver QP.