Re: rdma-core build environment enabling out-of-core providers

Le 03/08/2017 à 16:47, Jason Gunthorpe a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 08:48:50AM -0500, Steve Wise wrote:
>
>>> I 'm not sure I see the issue here (or at least nothing easily
>>> fixed).  If the standard spec produces an extra
>>> rdma-core-provider-devel with those headers, it's just a matter of
>>> rebuilding the out-of-tree provider against the right
>>> distro/package.
>> After thinking about this more, I agree: If rdma-core is built into
>> binary platform and distro-specific rpms, then these header files
>> are definitely available to export as a -devel rpm for that same
>> platform/distro.
> The issue is where do you put headers like stdatomic.h, config.h, etc.
>
> These headers will collide with normal headers in various cases..
>
> It is designed to be built with a private include/ that relies on
> #include_next to make everything work out, you cannot just dump the
> headers in /usr/include.
>
> If instead you do something like /usr/share/rdma-core/include then you
> still have the problem of conflicting with common user header names
> like config.h, and the problem of being matched exactly to the
> compiler that cmake was using when it made the headers.
>
> Overall it is a very fragile approach..
>
> There are also minor issues like actually building and linking the
> provider correctly, there were many issues there pre-rdma-core,
> building it outside the existing cmake framework means someone else
> has to actually understand how to do this properly :)
>
> Jason
I haven't looked into the build system but isn't this something the devel rpm could provide ?
This means not only packaging the header (a non standard include path would be the right solution I think but also the necessary cmake plumbing so it becomes plug and play for a provider to build its sources. Something along the lines of the way kernel allows you to build your out of tree modules.

If this is done upstream once and for all, and not by every out-of-tree provider, it is not fragile anymore.

Nicolas