Re: [rdma-next 01/33] Revert "IB/core: Add flow control to the portmapper netlink calls"

On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 21:54 +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 01:57:41PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

> > > Chien,
> > >
> > > You never explained us what exactly your original patch fixed and
> > > why
> > > it
> > > should be fixed in kernel and not in user space. I saw that our
> > > discussion wasn't useful and brought bad blood instead of good
> > > will,
> > > so I stepped out in waited for RDMA maintainer (Doug) step in.
> > >
> > > I never heard anything from Doug on the matter, so proceeded and
> > > resubmitted it.
> >
> > What makes you think *I* want to be in the middle of a school yard
> > squabble like this?
>
> It is not "I" want, but "I" expect and "I" demand from the
> maintainer.

I'm a big fan of the movie Draft Day.  You may not have ever seen it,
but I really enjoy all of the things that happen in the course of one
day.  In that movie, Vontae Mack is afraid he won't get selected 7th by
Sonny Weaver Jr.  When Sonny Weaver Jr. trades up for the 1st pick,
Vontae assumes it's because he's going to try and take the popular
pick, and so Vontae takes to his twitter account and tells Sonny Weaver
Jr. off.  Sonny gives Vontae a call, in which he tells Vontae that he
needs to put his twitter account down and take a chill pill, because
"as much as going to twitter is your God given right, General Managers
hate that shit because now they know that you'll put whatever innane
thought goes through your mind out there for the entire world to see."
(or something like that, it's from memory).

You may be wondering what my point here is.  It's simple.  It may be
your God given right to force a maintainer to make a call like this,
but maintainers hate that shit, because it's usually a sign of
dysfunction in the community and failure to work cooperatively to
arrive at a communally approved resolution.  What's more, it puts the
maintainer in a bad position of having to deal with possible political
crap and everything else.  So, yes, it's your God given right, but it
better be your last resort.

> It is his responsibility to drive to the resolution for the important
> core patches.

This was really only a core patch of minor importance to begin with,
and once Chien wrote a patch to give you what you wanted without
breaking the existing user space packages, it really became a trivial
core patch.  Hardly worthy of pulling the "I demand you make a
maintainer call" card.

> This revert was discussed for something like month+, as an outcome of
> it, Chien reviewed and sent much more improved version of their
> original
> patch, without socket timeout and with minimal blocking places.

That would have been a perfect moment for you to work with Chien to
take his patch as the first of your series instead of sticking to the
revert.

> So please, don't say "school yard",

I stand by my statement.  So many school yard arguments make no real
sense, and given you had every opportunity to resolve this problem with
a community viable alternative patch, and in so doing would have
actually fulfilled the edict that "we don't break user space" instead
of violating it as you were doing, the metaphor seems entirely
appropriate.

>  especially after your silence.

I want to address this separate from everything else.

With as much hostility and accusations as I saw fly on the original
submission, several things happened:

1) The submission got bumped to the bottom of my queue because settling
squables is not the sort of thing maintainers want to deal with.
2) The submission got bumped to the bottom of my queue so you would
have a chance to work things out and come to a mutually agreed
solution.  Such resolution is in the best interest of both the
community and the technical correctness of the fix as, generally, an
agreed upon fix will have had more community input and refinement prior
to being accepted.
3) The submission will get put on hold for a short while regardless of
points 1 and 2 just so you have a moment to settle down, rethink things
a little bit, and decide if you really want to pull that "put the
maintainer in this position" trigger.  Have you really examined all the
possible solutions?  Is there really no superior alternative?  Is there
really no way to come to agreement with the other community member(s)
you are disagreeing with?

In the end, there will always be those things that a maintainer will
simply need to make a call on because there won't be a clear right or
wrong side and it just becomes a judgment call.  But I don't think this
one even came close to being that unclear, so again I'm confused by
your insistence on going this route instead of just working things out
with Chien.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD