Re: Unexpected issues with 2 NVME initiators using the same target

So on occasion there is a Remote Access Error. That would
trigger connection loss, and the retransmitted Send request
is discarded (if there was externally exposed memory involved
with the original transaction that is now invalid).

I'm actually not concerned about the remote invalidation, that
is good that its discarded or failed. Its the inline sends that
are a bug here.

But the real problem is preventing retransmitted Sends from
causing a ULP request to be executed multiple times.

Exactly.

Signalling all send completions and also finishing I/Os only after we
got them will add latency, and that sucks...

Typically, Sends will complete before the response arrives.
The additional cost will be handling extra interrupts, IMO.

Not quite, heavy traffic _can_ results in dropped acks, my gut
feeling is that it can happen more than we suspect.

and yea, extra interrupt, extra cachelines, extra state,
but I do not see any other way around it.

With FRWR, won't subsequent WRs be delayed until the HCA is
done with the Send? I don't think a signal is necessary in
every case. Send Queue accounting currently relies on that.

Not really, the Send after the FRWR might have a fence (not strong
ordered one) and CX3/CX4 strong order FRWR so for them that is a
non-issue. The problem is that ULPs can't rely on it.

RPC-over-RDMA relies on the completion of Local Invalidation
to ensure that the initial Send WR is complete.

Wait, is that guaranteed?

For Remote
Invalidation and pure inline, there is nothing to fence that
Send.

The question I have is: how often do these Send retransmissions
occur? Is it enough to have a robust recovery mechanism, or
do we have to wire in assumptions about retransmission to
every Send operation?

Even if its rare, we don't have any way to protect against devices
retrying the send operation.