RE: rdma-core out-of-tree user library

> Two options,
>
> 1) The 'ofed' approach: just use the latest rdma-core. We want
>    rdma-core to run on any kernel version and any distro release, so
>    this should not be a major problem

My major concern was that when it comes to distros we don't have their
exact code base and/or can't release it. They take rdma-core X and
apply patches on it so it becomes rdma-core X.Y.
Hence if I take rdma-core X and apply my changes I will be actually
missing several patches.
Assuming backward-and-forward support, I might as well take rdma-core X+1
and base upon it my newer patches.

> 2) For each targetted distro release back port the changes you want
>    into the exact distro rdma-core source and distribute your driver
>    binary from that build. This keeps everything very much the same
>    but upgrades that driver.
> > How are other providers handling this?

As I've indicated above we don't have their exact code base and/or can't release it.

> Most things I've seen have followed an OFED like approach because they
> also want to ship an updated kernel component. Historically we have
> not seen that much churn in the user space provider that is not linked
> to kernel changes.
>
> Jason

Thanks,
Ram