rdma-core out-of-tree user library

Hi Jason, Leon, Doug, All,
A provider's out-of-tree user library cannot be built against rdma-core, because the
API is hidden to out-of-tree libraries. This was due to a decision taken months back.
The distros have adopted this approach as-is and it is going to be part of the next
releases. While this approach ensures all of the components are in-sync, it has its
disadvantages.

There is typically a gap of several months between two inbox releases.
New features and fixes are delivered to the next inbox releases, but we would like to
have the ability to supply an outbox user library to customers in between. It may
also happen that customers can only adopt the new inbox version with a delay, or even
worse, if they cannot adopt it at all due to various reasons.

I guess this is something you have thought of. If so, what were/are your thoughts about
creating intermediate out-of-box versions?

How are other providers handling this?

Thanks,
Ram