Re: [RFC v2 for accelerated IPoIB 00/6] Enhanced mode for IPoIB driver

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 07:17:13PM +0300, Erez Shitrit wrote:

> > be computed once instead of computed for every split packet. The
> > downside here is that it may be very complicated to store a kref in a
> > skb pseudo header and properly unref it at all the right times..
>
> It is an optimization, and still we need to get the ah even at the
> middle of GSO, for each skb, or to keep it somewhere, also will need
> to keep more space in the skb, more processing.

GSO is done in a way where the pseudo header is retained but not
recomputed for every fragment, much like for ethernet.

Does mlx5 even need a 'AH'? Maybe allowing the driver to provide some
bytes in the pseudo header that match the HW SQE is an overall more
efficient direction.

> > The other is to factor out the AH extraction from ipoib_start_xmit
> > into a helper function and have all the rn drivers call it to get the
> > AH.
>
> We will pay with performance degradation for each send.

Eh? Having ndo->ipoib->driver or ndo->driver->ipoib as a call chain
doesn't really matter one bit.

Jason