Re: [RFC v3 00/11] HFI Virtual Network Interface Controller (VNIC)

On Tue, 2017-02-07 at 12:22 -0800, Vishwanathapura, Niranjana wrote:
> Intel Omni-Path Host Fabric Interface (HFI) Virtual Network Interface
> Controller (VNIC) feature supports Ethernet functionality over Omni-Path
> fabric by encapsulating the Ethernet packets between HFI nodes.

This may have been stated before, but what is missing from this description
is an explanation of why accepting an Ethernet over RDMA driver in the
upstream kernel is considered useful. We already have an IPoIB driver, so
why to add another driver to the kernel tree for communicating IP packets
over an RDMA network?

Bart.--