Re: [RFC ABI V2 2/8] RDMA/core: Refactor IDR to be per-device

On 20/07/2016 20:41, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:23:26PM +0300, Matan Barak wrote:
From: Leon Romanovsky <leonro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The current code creates an IDR per type. Since types are currently
common for all vendors and known in advance, this was good enough.
However, the proposed ioctl based infrastructure allows each vendor
to declare only some of the common types and declare its own specific
types.

Thus, we decided to implement IDR to be per device and refactor it to
use a new file.

I still think this should be per-fd...

If we unite rdma-cm and uverbs to one fd, so I agree - it's better to have one IDR per file (even though it might make sharing objects between processes a little bit harder). If we keep things as they are today (separate fds), I think both options are valid.

Jason

Matan