Re: device attr cleanup (was: Handle mlx4 max_sge_rd correctly)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:56:50PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Looking at struct netdevice, it has the sort of organization I would
> call reasonable.  Things like struct tx_stats is a struct, even though
> it's embedded in the parent struct and not a pointer and there is
> exactly and only one copy, so it could be flat.

struct net_device_stats exists because it is used in many more places
that just in struct net_device, so this is a code sharing thing.

> something I would call well organized.  And speaking of that, in struct
> netdevice, all of the various ops elements are handled as structs,

.. and 'struct net_device_ops' is used extensively.

Whereas once we get rid of the query call ib_device_attr has no second
user.

> including the base netdevice ops, whereas struct ib_device puts the base
> ops flat in the struct.  So if we wanted to be more like struct
> netdevice, we would move the base ops out of struct ib_device.

It would make the drivers a bit nicer if they initialized an ib_ops
structure like netdev does instead of in code, but performance wise
this is probably better, especially if we sorted the struct members
sanely..

> out like this.  An ib_device can be multi-port, and each port can be a
> different RDMA device type.

I thought we figured out that wasn't actually allowed today when
working on the caps rework?

Jason