Re: merge struct ib_device_attr into struct ib_device V2

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Bart Van Assche
<bart.vanassche@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/21/2015 12:11 AM, Or Gerlitz wrote:
>>
>> haven't found any review or ack to your giant patch that touches the
>
>> whole subsystem (drivers, core and ULPs) expect from Sagi's -- lets
>> hear more opinions.
>
> Although I have not yet had the time to review the entire patch, removing
> ib_query_device() seems a great idea to me and an idea that I welcome very
> much. The ib_device_attr structure is too large to be allocated on the
> stack. This means that with Christoph's patch it is no longer needed to call
> kmalloc() + ib_query_device() + kfree() when a device attribute is needed
> from kernel code.

Bart, Jason, Steve,

The alternative approach to address this which was also running here
in the form of a patch from Ira following a reviewer comment from me,
is the have struct ib_device to contain a struct ib_device_attr member
(potentially a pointer) which is filled by the device driver before
they register themselves with the IB core.

This way there's no need for kmalloc() + ib_query_device() + kfree()
when a device attribute is needed and we don't introduce tens/hundreds
new fields for struct ib_device.

Thoughts?

Or.