Re: mlx5 + SRP: max_qp_sz mismatch

On 8/19/2014 2:20 AM, Mark Lehrer wrote:
I have a client machine that is trying to establish an SRP connection,
and it is failing due to an ENOMEM memory allocation error.  I traced
it down to the max_qp_sz field -- the mlx5 limits this to 16384 but
the request wants 32768.

I spent some time trying to figure out how this limit is set, but it
isn't quite obvious.  Is there a driver parameter I can set, or a hard
coded limit somewhere?

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and targetcli on the target side, Windows
2008r2 and WinOFED on the client side.

Hi Mark,

I think the issue here is that the SRP target asks for srp_sq_size (default 4096) to allocate room for send WRs, but it also asks for
SRPT_DEF_SG_PER_WQE(16) to allocate room for max_send_sge which
generally makes the work queue entries bigger as they come inline. That
probably exceeds the mlx5 max send queue size supported...

It is strange that mlx5 driver is not able to fit same send queue
lengths as mlx4... Probably work queue entries are slightly bigger (I
can check that - and I will).

I just wander how can the ULP requesting the space reservations in the
send queue know that, and if it should know that at all...

From what I see srp_sq_size is controlled via configfs. Can you set
it to 2048 just for the sake of confirmation this is indeed the issue?

Thanks,
Sagi.