Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Wed, 31 Jul 2024 at 13:55, Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@xxxxxx> wrote:
> This is also very different from GPUs or accel devices that are built to be
> user-programmable. If I'd compare ISPs to different devices, then the
> closest match would probably be video codecs -- which also use V4L2.

Really just aside, but I figured I should correct this. DRM supports
plenty of video codecs. They're all tied to gpus, but the real reason
really is that the hw has decent command submission support so that
running the entire codec in userspace except the basic memory and
batch execution and synchronization handling in the kernel is a
feasible design. And actually good, because your kernel wont ever blow
up trying to parse complex media formats because it just doesn't.
-Sima
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation