Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 05:40:16PM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 12:59 PM Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> > > There are two things here:
> > >
> > > - The political/strategic/philosophical/religious aspect: The industry
> > > definitely prefers the strategic requirements imposed by DRM. In fact
> > > some vendors had some huge legal troubles when they had tried to
> > > follow v4l2 requirements.
> >
> > That's I'm willing to debate.
> >
> > > - The technical aspect: DRM is more mature when it comes to
> > > sending/receiving buffers to the hardware, and an ISP looks *much*
> > > more similar to an accel device or a GPU than a UVC camera.
> >
> > But this I don't agree with. I think we should forgo the technical
> > discussion and stop pretending that DRM is better for this use case from
> > a technical point of view, and focus on the other aspect of the
> > discussion. (We can of course reopen the technical discussion if new
> > concrete arguments emerge.)
>
> I disagree. ISP devices are EXACTLY the same as accel devices.

I'm sorry, but this kind of argument makes me wonder if you know how
ISPs work :-(

> I suspect that you want to avoid them handled in DRM because then you
> prefer the v4l2 openness requirements.

I certainly prefer that, but I also think we would end up having the
exact same openness requirement with DRM. That's at least what I would
aim for.

I do also suspect that you want to handle ISPs in DRM only because you
believe it would give vendors a free pass-through card, and that the
technical arguments you brought up in the discussions are just a
distraction.

> There are no technical benefit
> from v4l2 for using ISPs:
>
> ```
> Everyone agrees that the current V4L2 API is not very suitable for the
> current generation of ISPs: it is too cumbersome.
> ```
> https://linuxtv.org/news.php?entry=2022-11-14-1.hverkuil

And we've improved the situation since then, and landed/landing more ISP
drivers. There's further ongoing improvements pending.

> > > Even with vendor passthrough there is still a need to provide a full
> > > open source implementation (probably based on libcamera).
> >
> > We have a different interpretation of "full" :-) I want to aim for
> > "full" to cover all the features exposed by the driver UAPI. There could
> > be some exceptions that we can discuss if there are compeling arguments,
> > but that would result in a 99% coverage, not a 20%, 50% or 80% coverage.
>
> Full means that I can use my camera using debian main and nothing more
> than that.  It is a pretty accepted description of what fully open
> means.

Thanks to the soft ISP support we've just landed in libcamera, and the
IPU6 ISYS driver merged in mainline, you will be able to use your camera
with Debian main as soon as it integrates recent enough versions of the
kernel and libcamera packages. I hope you don't consider that as full
support.

> > > So you will have enough information to use all the common
> > > functionality of a camera.

> > > Documenting with "enough details" is not enough. In V4L2, we have to
> > > deeply inspect every single buffer to make sure that it is not sending
> > > an unknown combination of command+arguments, or in other situations we
> > > construct the command buffer in the driver.

> > > Libcamera supports Camera HAL3, gstreamer, v4l2, pipewire...
> >
> > Those are not comparable to GLSL or Vulkan, they are much higher level.
> >
> > > If we are afraid of vendors providing "toy" implemententations to pass
> > > the openness requirements, we can add more features/tests to
> > > libcamera.
> > >
> > > And at the end of the day, there will be humans deciding if what a
> > > vendor has provided is good enough or not.

> > > Modern ISPs are definitely going in the direction of "command buffers"
> >
> > Examples please, with technical details. I've seen this argument being
> > used for at least a year, with very little evidence. There are ISPs that
> > are more programmable than others, but in practice firmwares mostly
> > expose fixed functions, not ISA-level programmability.
>
> You have not seen many programmable ISPs in v4l2 because they cannot
> be supported with v4l2.

I have not seen many programmable ISPs, period. I would like to see
concrete examples of those ISPs, with technical details of the hardware
and firmware, disregarding which kernel API we would use.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart