Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Wed, 10 Jul 2024 14:22:38 +0100
Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2024 15:15:13 -0700
> Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I'm with Greg on this ... can you point to some of the contrary
> > > positions?
> >
> > This thread has that discussion:
> >
> > http://lore.kernel.org/0-v1-9912f1a11620+2a-fwctl_jgg@xxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > I do not want to speak for others on the saliency of their points, all I
> > can say is that the contrary positions have so far not moved me to drop
> > consideration of fwctl for CXL.
>
> I was resisting rat holing. Oh well...

To throw another 'fun' one in there.  For anything integrated with the host
there is a proposal to provide a MCTP via PCC (ACPI described mailbox). [1]
I don't think it makes sense to rule that out as it's logically no
different from MCTP in general (e.g. a host controller for PCI VDM, or
I2C etc)

Anyone who has a suitable firmware can do whatever they like with that
and the interfaces is exposed directly to userspace. Adam, perhaps you can
describe your use case a little?  Is it applicable to general server distros?

We might suggest distributions don't enable MCTP but does that
actually get us anywhere?  Anyhow, I suspect there are other similar routes, but
this one happens to be under review at the moment.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240702225845.322234-1-admiyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/