Re: [RFC RESEND 00/16] Split IOMMU DMA mapping operation to two steps

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 06:26:23PM +0000, Zeng, Oak wrote:
> Thank you Leon. That is helpful.
>
> I also have another very naïve question. I don't understand what is the iova address. I previously thought the iova address space is the same as the dma_address space when iommu is involved. I thought the dma_alloc_iova would allocate some contiguous iova address range and later dma_link_range function would link a physical page to the iova address and return the iova address. In other words, I thought the dma_address is iova address, and the iommu page table translate a dma_address or iova address to the physical address.

This is right understanding.

> But from my print below, my above understanding is obviously wrong: the iova.dma_addr is 0 and the dma_address returned from dma_link_range is none zero... Can you help me what is iova address? Is iova address iommu related? Since dma_link_range returns a non-iova address, does this function allocate the dma-address itself? Is dma-address correlated with iova address?

This is a combination of two things:
1. Need to support HMM specific logic
2. Outcome of v0 version where I implemented dma_link_range() to perform fallback to DMA direct mode. See patch 2 and 3.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/54a3554639bfb963c9919c5d7c1f449021bebdb3.1709635535.git.leon@xxxxxxxxxx/
https://lore.kernel.org/all/f1049f0fc280288ae2f0c1e02388cde91b0f7876.1709635535.git.leon@xxxxxxxxxx/

So dma-iova == 0 means that you are working in direct mode and not with IOMMU, e.g. you can translate from physical address
to DMA address by simple call to phys_to_dma().

One of the comments was that it is not desired behaviour and I need to
create separate functions that will be in use only when IOMMU is used.

See the difference between v0 and v1 for dma_link_range() function.
v0: https://lore.kernel.org/all/f1049f0fc280288ae2f0c1e02388cde91b0f7876.1709635535.git.leon@xxxxxxxxxx/
v1: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/leon/linux-rdma.git/commit/?h=dma-split-v1&id=5aa29f2620ef86ac58c17a0297929a0b9e8d7790

And HMM variant of dma_link_range() function, which saves from you the
need to copy/paste same HMM logic from RDMA to DRM.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/leon/linux-rdma.git/commit/?h=dma-split-v1&id=4d8d8d4fbe7891b1412f03ecaff88bc492e2e4eb

Thanks