RE: [RFC RESEND 00/16] Split IOMMU DMA mapping operation to two steps

Hi Leon, Jason

I looked into how this scheme can be applied to DRM subsystem and GPU drivers.

I figured RDMA can apply this scheme because RDMA can calculate the iova size. Per my limited knowledge of rdma, user can register a memory region (the reg_user_mr vfunc) and memory region's sized is used to pre-allocate iova space. And in the RDMA use case, it seems the user registered region can be very big, e.g., 512MiB or even GiB

In GPU driver, we have a few use cases where we need dma-mapping. Just name two:

1) userptr: it is user malloc'ed/mmap'ed memory and registers to gpu (in Intel's driver it is through a vm_bind api, similar to mmap). A userptr can be of any random size, depending on user malloc size. Today we use dma-map-sg for this use case. The down side of our approach is, during userptr invalidation, even if user only munmap partially of an userptr, we invalidate the whole userptr from gpu page table, because there is no way for us to partially dma-unmap the whole sg list. I think we can try your new API in this case. The main benefit of the new approach is the partial munmap case.

We will have to pre-allocate iova for each userptr, and we have many userptrs of random size... So we might be not as efficient as RDMA case where I assume user register a few big memory regions.

2) system allocator: it is malloc'ed/mmap'ed memory be used for GPU program directly, without any other extra driver API call. We call this use case system allocator.

For system allocator, driver have no knowledge of which virtual address range is valid in advance. So when GPU access a malloc'ed/mmap'ed address, we have a page fault. We then look up a CPU vma which contains the fault address. I guess we can use the CPU vma size to allocate the iova space of the same size?

But there will be a true difficulty to apply your scheme to this use case. It is related to the STICKY flag. As I understand it, the sticky flag is designed for driver to mark "this page/pfn has been populated, no need to re-populate again", roughly...Unlike userptr and RDMA use cases where the backing store of a buffer is always in system memory, in the system allocator use case, the backing store can be changing b/t system memory and GPU's device private memory. Even worse, we have to assume the data migration b/t system and GPU is dynamic. When data is migrated to GPU, we don't need dma-map. And when migration happens to a pfn with STICKY flag, we still need to repopulate this pfn. So you can see, it is not easy to apply this scheme to this use case. At least I can't see an obvious way.

Oak